Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Russophrenia - an illness in need of a cure

Russophrenia - a condition where the sufferer believes Russia is both about to collapse, and take over the world. Since 2013, instances of this ailment have reached epidemic-like proportions in certain parts of Washington, London and Brussels.

It’s been a grim summer in Ireland so far. The warm sunshine of the previous couple of years is absent, replaced by sticky, humid mist which lends itself to a melancholic air. Hence, thoughts have turned to Russia and memories of balmy June evenings there.

However, when I was actually living in Russia, I got so caught up in the place that I completely forgot how little fellow Westerners know of the country. It frustrated me when I returned to Europe, giddy with enthusiasm for my temporary home, to meet attitudes to Russia that haven’t changed much since the Cold War and the days of "reds in the bed." .... http://rt.com